Friday, March 4, 2011

Picture Me (Picture Me: A Model's Diary)


Go behind the scenes and experience both the glamour and the darker side of the high fashion industry as filmmaker Ole Schell documents girlfriend Sara Ziff's rise to international model status in this revealing film. Taking place over several years, the documentary features interviews with numerous models in the industry and includes appearances by designers Karl Lagerfeld and Nicole Miller, photographer Gilles Bensimon and others.
I am not interested in high fashion designs or models, but I found this to be incredibly fascinating. I understand why so many of these girls end up on drugs... they are literally treated like a piece of meat. Despite what people think, these girls are often worked to death. They are paid a lot, A LOT, of money though so it sorta compensates. I have always felt that models were just a different form of prostitution, an unconventional form of it and I think this documentary proves me right. The thing I noticed about this film the most, the models themselves don't strut around in makeup and nice clothes the majority of the time. They actually don't wear makeup on a day to day basis unless they are working. Odd to think that most women wear makeup as though it is expected of them day to day. I am one of the gals that always has "a face" on. I am openly insecure. I am also okay with that.
This is worth watching cause it gives you an idea how all this fashion crap works. Interesting if nothing else.

No comments: