Monday, March 14, 2011

Born into Brothels

Born into Brothels
 

2004
British filmmaker Zana Briski's Oscar-winning documentary is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in Calcutta's red-light district, where their mothers work as prostitutes to ensure their survival. Spurred by the kids' fascination with her camera, Briski decides to teach them photography. As they begin to look at and record their world through new eyes, the kids awaken to their own talents and sense of worth.

I wanted to do a follow up from my last post "Children Underground" with Born into Brothels. Both documentaries show a side of life for children in other countries that most people are not familiar with. Every review I have ever read on this documentary all comment on the happiness and dignity of these children. It really sticks with you when you watch it! These kids live in some of the most extreme situations I have ever seen! They are so brilliant... it is so sad to think that these children really have very little options in life. I made the remark on Children Underground that the children from Romania seemed so sad and depressed and yet these kids are almost the opposite. I wonder why. Is it all in how you look at things or perceive life? Great Documentary, I recommend it!  

No comments: